Monday, April 26, 2010

Wrap-Up

Great wrap-up, ERC's! Way to highlight all of the extra goodies on the SDSL website. Librarians don't need to create handouts, etc, because you guys have done it all for them!

I would have to say my biggest discovery were the resources that I have not used before (ArchiveGrid and CAMIO) and also being able to get a little more practice with the Gale Virtual Reference Library. I think sometimes patrons get so overwhelmed with the number of databases out there that it's hard to remember what there is to search. If I can't find it here, then I can always try there. I can only imagine the number of databases large academic librarians have to keep track of. I think the SDSL offers a good number of databases covering a nice variety of areas.

I've already had a chance to plug Learning Express Library to a patron, and am planning on plugging the rest of the databases covered in the challenge and more when I visit the Capital University Center classes this fall. When I give an overall presentation to state agency employees, I include a large variety of our databases to highlight. Even though state employees may not necessarily use World Book or Learning Express in their daily jobs, I can usually catch their interest when I ask if they've got kids in grade school, high school, or college. There really is something for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. We really appreciate your participation, Brenda, and are glad you made some new discoveries. We are also glad to hear how you share these with patrons. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete