Thursday, April 1, 2010

WorldCat

Exercise #1: Title The great eight
  • three records found
  • libraries worldwide that own #1 - 621
  • top library - Mitchell Public Library (SD) - I like that WC puts regional libraries that own titles at the top of the list. Makes ILL much easier.
  • call number - LC: BF575.H27 Dewey: 158 or 796.912092

The record contains a plethora of info that is useful to a cataloger. In addition to call number, there is OCLC (accession) and ISBN numbers, contents, description, year of publication or copyright, full title, author, publisher, and more. I noticed that some terms are used differently. For example, back when I started cataloging, an accession number was the number one physically stamped in the book for library records. Thank goodness most libraries have done away with this practice! In the record, accession number refers to the OCLC number. Also, I found the call number choices interesting. My first thought when I picked up the book (which I am currently reading) is that it is more biographical. Then again, it could also go into the sports section as a memoir of an ice skating legend. The book does deal with psychological issues, but that would probably be my last choice. That's the beauty of an online catalog. You can see where other libraries put a book, and use that info when you catalog it for your library.

Exercise #2: OAIster

WorldCat has a lot of neat stuff. The hardest part for me would be to remember all of the databases that can be used and to actually go in and use them! I liked the idea that the OAIster database includes things that might be considered out of the ordinary such as theses, research papers and image collections. More resources to make research and writing easier and more widespread than just getting a book from the library, as I used to do.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Brenda, you've done a good job of capturing the power of WorldCat, and now you've made me curious about the book you're reading. :) I think OAIster is a lot of fun and could be used for all kinds of research. Did you notice the menu collection? It's got a menu from Cherry Creek Grill in Sioux Falls from years ago. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete