Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ancestry etc.

1. I found myself via my maiden name in the U.S. Phone and Address Directories, but I do not exist in the census records via maiden or married names.

2. Found my paternal grandfather in the death index and right underneath that was the record of my grandparents marriage, so that was cool. I made a copy for my dad.

3. Lots of neat digitized images of people, places, and pages from books that mention South Dakota

4. It took a while of playing around, but I finally got some interesting hits when I did a search for Fort Pierre in the places section. Doane Robinson's encyclopedia of South Dakota as well as his A brief history of South Dakota are both full text in Heritage Quest.

5. I am starting to recognize some of the old buildings in Pierre, but probably not enough to pinpoint what they are now to what they were back in 1884. On one of the 1927 Pierre maps, the HWY 14/34 bridge that now crosses the river next to the railroad bridge was called the Wagaon Bridge. It is interesting to see how cities grow over the years by starting with the first year available and then checking the last year available. When I worked at RC Public Library, we had a lot of people come in to look at the Deadwood Sanborn maps as they were researching historic preservation areas and the old Chinese laundry buildings.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Brenda! You have discovered how great these resources are for historical research, as well as family history. You are not OLD enough to show up in census records here yet, as the newest ones released are from 1930. :) Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete