Thursday, March 11, 2010

ProQuest

I need a new carpet shampooer, and knowing that ProQuest indexes Consumer Reports, I figured this would be an exercise where I could accomplish two things at once. My initial search for carpet shampooer only yielded one hit, so I backed up and tried carpet cleaner, which got 90. I like the suggested topics when you do a search. If I'd not been able to get many hits from the terms I was using, clicking on one of the suggested topics would have helped.

I found that carpet cleaners means a lot of different things, from the actual guy/gal who comes in to clean, to the spray/foam products to clean stains, to the actual shampooer, which is my topic of interest. It looks like the article that will be of most use to me is not full text. However, my library does subscribe to this magazine, so it will be easy for me to retrieve the article and read it.

I did a keyword search for publications with library in the title and got a list of 23. All but three appear to be full text. Using references from professional journals is always helpful when we go out to do trainings. I've used examples of what is happening in other libraries (citations and articles obtained from ProQuest and Ebsco) when doing a policies/procedures training session. It is good for training attendees to see how policies/procedures are adapted depending on the size of a library and population served, and real life examples can be obtained from professional journals in these databases.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Brenda, good observations on Proquest. Easy to use, broad coverage. Like you, I really like the suggested topics, as my brain doesn't always come up with the same indexing words as theirs! Good examples of how to use Proquest for home & work. Good luck with the carpet shampooer purchase!

    ReplyDelete