Thursday, October 15, 2009

2009 SD Library Association Conference

I felt like I didn't get to spend enough time at SDLA this year. Due to budget issues, some of us were not able to go until Thursday morning, and the conference ends on Friday. In addition to that, we did not stay at the conference hotel, and it is amazing how disconnected that makes one feel.

Anyway, I attended a couple of really good 2.0/social web sessions. Two librarians from SD State University presented on a Virtual Librarian in every classroom and talked about all of the 2.0 tools and more that they use in library instruction. It was very informative and provided lots of good links to visit. I also attended a session on using Second Life in libraryland. I'd always wondered about Second Life and this session was just what I needed to introduce me to it. I don't think I'll be signing up any time soon, but I am definitely more educated on it now.

The number of vendors at the conference this year was up from year's past and that was really great. There were a couple of new ones. Auto-graphics was there, and Grant County Public Library in Milbank has recently purchased their product.

Dr. Thom Flamboe, an assistant professor of psychology, gave a phenomenal talk on dealing with adolescents over the years. His stories were heartwarming and so funny at the same time. Many of us had tears from laughing so hard by the time the presentation ended.

A wonderful dessert reception followed the awards banquet in downtown Aberdeen. Attendees could tour the Dacotah Prairie Museum, then over to the Ward Hotel for late night coffee and goodies.

There was definitely not enough time to visit with all of the librarians across the state that I like to chat with, so next year I'll make sure to get there earlier so as not to feel so rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment