Friday, September 18, 2009

Library site visit to Kennebec, SD

I visited the Kennebec Community Library on Wednesday afternoon this week. Kennebec is a community of 200+ people. I would love to be the library director of a small town library, if only I wanted to live in a small town, which I don't. But, visiting the small town libraries is, I think, one of the great perks of my job.

Kennebec has so much community support for their library. If anything is needed from funds, to computers, to book donations, the community is there. In the current economic times when some libraries are closing due to lack of funds and support, it is great to see that this is not true in Kennebec.

Anywhere from 1-30 kids are at the library every day after school. Kennebec Library does not open until 2:30 in the afternoons, but several schools, preschools, and other groups in the Kennebec area call and make appointments to come in and use the library in the morning. On the morning of my visit, a group of preschoolers made their very first visit to a library. I'm sure they took home a lasting impression of a place to which they would like to return.

I will post a couple of photos next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment