Monday, August 10, 2009

Facebook

I've had a Facebook account for probably six months or so. I never really thought I'd create one, but got a wild hair one day. Within days, I heard from a high school classmate who has been in Jersey for over 20 years, and I've been able to make contact with a few other high school and college classmates as well. That part has been cool. I'm still exploring adding photos and such, but need to find more time to concentrate on that.

What I've found a bit disappointing is that most of the people I've "friended" either just play the games (which are fun, don't get me wrong) or don't bother posting at all. I like to comment on posts and see if people comment on posts of mine. It's just another way of communicating and keeping in touch. Can you "unfriend" someone and not have them know it? I'll have to figure that out, because that is probably what I'll do in some cases.

If I had to choose Facebook or Twitter, I would pick Facebook, just because it is more fun. I can't really think of any component that I would use in my job. I've become a "fan" of some library associations and college related groups. A co-worker and I recently did some polling of other state library agencies that use chat and we also asked about other 2.0 tools that they used. Most of those we chatted with said they had or have had a Facebook page, but saw it as a tool they could live without. But that is what challenges like this are good for because you never know if something will be useful until you try it.

1 comment:

  1. I've often wondered how well Facebook fit in the library world. I'm sure there are applications, but I've never been able to determine (on my own anyway) what they might be....

    ReplyDelete