Friday, February 1, 2013

ERC Week 2

I logged in to do a practice test.  Even though a person may not actually be practicing for a purpose, these are great (especially math) to give your brain some exercise because we all know that is important.  My one "aargh" moment was that part 2 of my exercise wanted me to browse the e-books from the homepage.  I went up to the top and moused over the words LearningExpressLibrary figuring that would be my ticket home, and nothing.  Further playing revealed that I had to mouse over the "rary" in LearningExpressLibrary, then I could click and go home.  Seems a little odd.  Anyway, moving on...   

For the exercise, since the elementary section does not have a large selection of ebooks at this time, I went for the middle school area, which has a ton of great resources.  I am going to look at Multiple Literacies, Standard 2: The student will read, view, listen, speak and write to investigate, explore, create and communicate for academic and personal growth.

I am going to use the following:  Reading, Grammar, and Writing in 15 minutes a day.  I'm not going to have students read these cover to cover.  Instead, I would pick out sections from each that might complement each other.  I like the practice exercises in each book and the reading selections seem like a good fit for the age group.  I think the three of these could be used at the beginning of a unit so students can get practice on parts of speech, proper grammar, and the "how to" of essay writing.  Looking at 2.5.4 and 2.5.5, I could find some SD reading materials (online, physical, and digital historical items) to incorporate into the essay writing part of the assignment.




1 comment:

  1. Good match, Brenda! I love your idea of bringing in SD material in various formats! As for getting back to the homepage, I've had success with clicking My Center and then the Learning Express logo. Seems like 1 click too many. :) Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete